B.Sc.(Hons.) in Optometry and Ophthalmic Techniques (BSCHOT) is a four-year degree programme and is aimed to develop a multipurpose ophthalmic manpower in the country. This programme comprises of 128 creditss(52 credits theory and 76 credits practical). This programme was launched in July, 2007. The number of Programme Study Centres activated at present are19.
The Programme has been launched with broad objectives of training the students in optometry various ophthalmic procedures. After going through this programme the students shall be able to:
- assist eye specialists in big eye hospitals, eye care health units, etc., as refractionist, orthoptists, theatre assistants and refractionists.
- Get themselves self employed ad opticians, optometrists and refractionists;
- estimate errors of refraction and be able to prescribe glasses;
- maintain ophthalmic appliances and instruments; and
- assess ocular motility disorders and prescribe adequate treatment including eyeball exercises.